Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Am I THAT Transparent?

Yesterday, I sat in my cube, doing exactly what I do every day...sit and drool while staring at my monitor, trying to color code my spreadsheets. 

My cubicle neighbor, *Amy, came over and asked how things were for my n-sister since the death of her fiancee..and then took a good look at me.  She asked if I was okay.  That I didn't seem like myself lately.  It took all the self-control I could muster not to burst into tears..

"I'm fine!  Everything's great!!", I lied.

"You're lying..", she said.

"No!  Really!  I'm okay!!", I continued.

"Liar.  I'm here if you need to talk...", she put her hand on my shoulder for one millisecond and left my cube.

I went back to sitting and drooling and color coding, but that one small gesture really touched me.  I guess sometimes it's okay to let my guard down..because help will come from the most unexpected places.

*changed name...just because.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your words of wisdom with the rest of the class. :)