Friday, November 16, 2012

Here's What I Know ~ NaBloPoMo ~ November 16





Writing prompt for today:  Knowledge About Your Adoption


Some adoptive parents share more than others for various reasons. How much of your adoptive parents’ story has been shared with you? If they shared details about your adoption with you, how did that make you feel? If they did not, do you wish they had? Did your parents share with you why they choose to adopt? Did they share that story with others in your life? If so, did it affect you in any ways?







I think I answered a lot of this prompt on my post from November 7th but maybe I can expand on it a bit?

My adoptive parents married in 1962 after dating for two years.  They were a young couple, my mother was 22 and my father 27.  We had vague stories told to us of how they tried to have children of their own (yes, that was how they said it...and adoptees AREN'T Plan B???) but then decided that since that wasn't working after eight years, they would adopt. 

That's about the extent to what we were told about it.  They felt that God led them to adopt...all of the typical stuff you read about online now written by adoptive parents or potential adoptive parents applies to their experience back in the early 70's. 

I never thought about being Plan B until I was reunited.  I just rolled with it and became very mechanical with my responses when people would ask me about it.  "They couldn't have kids and decided to adopt".  That was it.  Most often, I'd get the standard "Well, isn't that nice that they chose you for their family?!" and I'd be silent and nod.  Now, I just look at the person who says it and will calmly explain, "Looks can be deceiving." and let them figure it out on their own.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your words of wisdom with the rest of the class. :)