Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Coffee Talk With Christina: Part Two

Been feeling a bit out of it lately...again..lol.  So it's time to jumpstart my blog with some more cawfee tawk, inspired by some very special friends/readers.  What?  You can't stop laughing about "cawfee tawk"?  I AM from Massachusetts after all, gotta have the accent on my blog sometimes even if I don't have one when I'm talking..haha.
 
This installment's questions are brought to you by the lovely Von.  Thank you...love you!
 
"Did you try "Julia Cameron's The Artist's Way"?"
 
Try it?  No.  Seek out the website and decide that I'll be seriously getting into it very soon?  Yes!
 
"Where do you see yourself in 10 years time? 20 years time?"
 
Hmmmm, well in ten years time my kids will both be out of high school (OMG, that was difficult to write).  I'd love to be working in a job that I want to go to rather than one that I'm at now.  It's a daily struggle to drive there, knowing that I'm going to be stuck in front of a computer monitor all day.  But the quandry is, I have no idea what I want to do.  What am I good at??  I have no clue.  Yikes. 
 
In twenty years, holy jeebus, I just hope I'm still around to see my kids happy with the lives they are living.  Perhaps I'll have grandchildren (HOLY JEEBUS)...or helping to plan a wedding.  Most of all though, I hope I'll feel fulfilled and pleased with the progress I've made as a person.  I picture myself healthier in the future...finally free from this stupid weight that I'm carrying around...not just the physical weight but the emotional baggage as well.  It seems so far away some days.
 
"What adoption reforms would you like to see happen?"
 
First and foremost, open access for all adoptees to their original birth certificates.  It's a civil right that is denied to millions of adoptees because...well, honestly, I'm not really sure why.  Do I think that adoption will ever be entirely wiped out?  Sadly no.  But that doesn't mean that it's not worth fighting for...and striving for.  Why not legal guardianship?  Why does it have to be adoption?  If it's truly about the best interests of the child, why is taking away their heritage okay?  Answer:  To me, it's not.
 
"What is your most precious dream?"
 
You know what?  I've never allowed myself to truly dream. 
 
I used to dream of going to and graduating from college...had to leave after a year though because dear ol' adad lost his job and I had to move home to help work to pay the household bills. 
 
Then there was the dream of getting married and having kids...with a beautiful house complete with a white picket fence.  Well, I have the kids..lol.  And, you'll all be the first to know if and when I get proposed to by Steven...  I'm going to be honest here...I get horribly jealous of my friends who did get married in their 20's. Like I'm not part of the club...and to which I can never gain entrance.


But I made choices in my life that crushed the "perfect life" dream and I've stopped allowing myself to even daydream about it because I just end up disappointed. 
 
I have no idea if I truly answered your questions Von or just scratched the surface, but you definitely gave me food for thought. 

4 comments:

  1. Love you too and fascinated to see what you made of the questions and always happy to see your honesty and ability to share your thoughts, whatever they are.
    Hey you know that 'perfect life' dream we all have? Once you come to accept it doesn't happen, life does get real and so much better because we accept what comes along and make something of it, hopefully the best of it.
    Clearly you don't belong to the 'picket fence married club' but the "intelligent, thinking, there are no mistakes club".It frees you up to do whatever you want and if anyone needs that, it's adoptees!
    PS You could always defy convention and pop the question!
    Just to share my most precious dream, it's having Grandchildren somewhere down the track.
    Coffee?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I deleted my comment to make it less personal. I just wanted to ask, what do you think of foster/adopt and what reforms, if any, would you like to see?

    ReplyDelete

Share your words of wisdom with the rest of the class. :)