Thursday, May 20, 2010

Way Off Topic Part Two: A Hairy Situation

Lol, so I was thinking yesterday after writing about Chase's attempt to be Mary Poppins on his bike with the umbrella and realized that I couldn't let you all think that he's the only one with an embarassing story..

A few years ago, on a different blog, I'd written about Madelyn and her own moment in the spotlight.  I've copied and pasted that post for you here.  Promise to get back to writing about the adoption stuff, but I'm a little lazy tired. ;)

Posted on November 18, 2008:

I had a traumatic night last night…no, really…Madelyn came upstairs to the living room to tell me good night. I looked up from the purse I'm making and gasped! She had given herself BANGS (very short bangs) on ONE SIDE OF HER HEAD!!!



"Madelyn Grace! What happened to your hair?!?!?"


"Nothing…what do you mean??"


"You CUT your hair???"


"NO!!"


"Go in the bathroom, look at yourself and then come back and tell me what you did…" She scurries off to the bathroom and it's very quiet for a few minutes.


"I don't know what happened Mom!!" This being said from the safety of the bathroom door.


"Madelyn…you need to tell me the truth."


"FINE! I cut it!!" Sobbing she ran to her room…irritated, I called her back.


"Madelyn, I'm not mad that you cut your hair..although, the smarter thing to do would have been to ask me to bring you to the hairdressers. I'm mad that you didn't tell me the truth when I asked for it." More sobbing ensued.


"Madelyn…where are the scissors?" More scurrying to her bedroom…she'd used child safety scissors.


"Madelyn…WHERE is the HAIR?" More scurrying to her bedroom…she hands me a clump of her beautiful hair. I pointed at the kitchen wastebasket. She took off for the safety of her room.


At this point, Steven came upstairs to find out what was going on…I told him and he immediately started laughing.


"Stop laughing! She's embarassed as it is…" Now I was giggling…the horror of the situation had given way to amusement.


We went down to her room and Maddie was still crying…I sat on the edge of her bed.


"It's okay honey…do you understand that Mummy was more upset that you lied about it?" Head nod. "I'll help you fix your hair for school in the morning, okay?" Double head nod.


Fast forward to this morning…she came in the bathroom for me to help comb over her hair and fasten it with a barrette…I looked at her face and said….


"MADELYN, what happened to your EYE?" As if the poor kid isn't traumatized enough…she's got Conjunctivitis. At least this will give me more time to figure out how to fix her hair, right??

It had turned out that she didn't have conjunctivitis..her eyes were just swollen from crying so hard. 

It still makes me giggle, even a year and a half later..

3 comments:

  1. Too funny! I live in fear of my daughter doing this. I have never cut her hair and have worked hard to learn how to properly style AA hair. If she gets snippy with it though, i am doomed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Funny story. Oh, the stories our kids give us to tell!! On a side note...We call my Madelyn 'Maddie' (again, spelled the same way), sometimes too! Okay, I'll stop with the creepy comparisons! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen ~ I don't think it's creepy at all..I think it's incredible!

    Lee ~ What was even funnier was that the next day at work, I was telling one of my coworkers the story and another woman asked me how old my daughter was, and she guessed 3 or 4. Imagine my embarassment when I had to fess up and say, "She's 8". ::gulp::

    ReplyDelete

Share your words of wisdom with the rest of the class. :)