Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Humbled

It's been a few months since I've blogged.  I had the best intentions to keep going through November, using the prompts at Lost Daughters to light my creative spark.  Alas, I didn't do that.  I stopped writing and I couldn't bring myself to come back to say, "Hey, sorry for ANOTHER long hiatus".

I came to a crossroads.  I began to think that maybe it was time to retire this blog and figure out something else to do.  I mean, I have a huge basket of yarn that I should be using to crochet...I have a Kindle Fire that is loaded with books that I am itching to read.  I have a ton of excuses. 

But then, something happened yesterday that changed my mind about packing up and getting the hell outta Dodge.

I received an email...from a stranger.  A stranger who seemed to know just what I needed to hear at just the right moment.

He had read the open letter written by an online friend and fellow adoptee...and it had moved him enough to write me.  Neither as an adopter..nor as an adoptee...but as a human being.  Truthfully, he'd thought I'd written the letter...which I was truly humbled by as I feel like I don't express myself nearly as well as my friend did.  But then he sent a second email, telling me that he realized after the fact that I hadn't written it but wanted to thank me anyway for my openness on my blog.

I responded...and thanked him for helping to renew my faith in humanity and my blog and the work that I want to do here. 

He let me know that he wants to share my blog with members of his church who have adopted children and who are thinking of adopting so they can get a clearer picture of what the other side of adoption looks like.

I was touched by his candor and his willingness to open himself up to me and I can only pray that I can do the same from now on.

Thank you newfound friend...from the bottom of my heart.  Thank you.

5 comments:

  1. That is awesome! So happy you will leave this blog open... even if you don't blog regularly, you have a lot of awesome posts (like that one!) which need to be read by others out there.

    Love you!!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you are going to blog even if it isn't all the time. You have insights that we all need to see. As an adoptive mom, I have found your blog to be so very important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy that you have decided to continue writing. It is depressingly easy for people (I'm one) to just settle on a point of view on an issue that profoundly affects human lives without ever even realizing that there is another side and a human cost that they have never weighed in their mind. Human beings need each other, and you are giving everyone that reads your blog an awesome gift by being willing to write the way you do. I can see that I am not the only one who thinks so! I'll be reading and praying for you and the work you are doing on this site.

    Chris

    (Also, thank you that you have linked to so many sites of other adult adoptees. I hope people will take the time to visit these sites and see that yours is not a lone voice, and read these thoughts and journeys with the consideration they deserve.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - very refreshing. Open mind that can see all sides.

    It's a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another adoptive mom who apprciates the time you take to share your insight as well as the links to other adoptee blogs.

    I am glad you are recieving additional positive feedback.

    ReplyDelete

Share your words of wisdom with the rest of the class. :)